Lego Mindstorms Robotics Invention
System (RIS) 2.0 Installation Instructions for 311 Lab (Windows XP Hyperthreading).
This worked on machines P1 and O4 through O9 on 3/18/04
NOTE: To install this software you need a Lego USB transmission Tower.
Believe it or not, you've done it!
- Install the regular software from the mindstorms CD. When it asks
you for maximum or minimum, pick maximum (we don't want the students to
need a CD when they run the software).
- When it completes, tell it you don't want to reboot yet.
- Exit from RIS, remove CD.
- Download and unzip RIS20XPPatch.zip
- Double click on RIS20XPPatch to run it.
- Download (into a different folder) and unzip LEGOTower.zip
- Double click on Setup for that patch.
- Plug in the Lego Mindstorms USB transmission Tower into the USB
port. Let it auto-install (your drivers will be found in the files
extracted from the LEGOTower.zip file.
- Restart the computer
- Run the lego "Robotics invention system" software. When you get
to the part where it asks you to install batteries in the RCX, select
cancel, and then select yes to indicate that you know you won't have
downloaded the firmware.
- Quit from the program.